Monday 7 January 2013

Let them eat cake!

 
I have always loved bananas but I was never a big fan of banana cake or banana bread until I tried this recipe and then BAM! - I was hooked.
Be prepared - this cake is so moist it is almost like a pudding, and it is addictively delicious.
It is a great way to use up those bananas that are a bit past their best (we always seem to have a few sad old ones in the fruit bowl) and best of all, if you  don't get all crazy and decadent and slather these
 with icing then they are not as sinful as other cake. Yep, that's right, healthy and yummy!
I discovered this recipe in a $1 cook book from the op-shop called Healthy Eating on a Budget by Jane Barnes. I'm not sure if you can still buy it but if you want more recipes like these and live in Australia you can get all old school and borrow it from your library.
 
QUICK BANANA MUFFINS
3-5 bananas mashed (the number depends on how banana flavoured you want it)
2 cups of plain or wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 cup soft brown or caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
60g polyunsaturated margarine
1/2 cup low fat plain or greek yoghurt
3 eggs
 
 
Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well or be lazy like me and put it all in a food processor and blend.
 
 
Pour into muffin cases. The mix with 5 bananas usually makes about 12 -15 muffins.
 
 
Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees celcius for approx 20 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
 
 
Serve when cool. Or don't. I loooove them when they are still warm.
 
 
If you do want to be terribly decadent then why not make up a chocolate and peanut butter frosting.
Ohhhh yeahhhh!
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 The original recipe calls for jam to sandwich two layers of cake together but I tend to make these into muffins so omit the jam. I also at times add chocolate chips after everything has been mixed together if I feel naughty.
 
What have you been baking lately? I'd love to know your favourite recipes.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment