Tuesday 6 August 2013

Show and tell - op shop treasures


There is something so exciting about rummaging through donated racks of clothes and poking around someone else's discarded bits and bobs, hunting for the treasure and hoping to find the gems in amongst the rubbish.
It feels like peeking into the lives of others.
As far I am concerned you can keep your sky diving and bungee jumping!
I want no part of crocodile wrestling or fire jumping!
I will take the exhilaration and adrenalin pumping past time of op shopping any day!
And up until I started reading blogs I didn't really know anyone else that shared my love of op shopping, charity shopping or thrifting. The moment I realised there was a whole tribe of us treasure hunters was a momentous one. Huge. Reading of others and their great finds and cool refashions made me feel like I was coming home.
So I thought I would do a show and tell of some of my favourite treasures that I have unearthed from opportunity shops far and wide.
 
From left; 40's crepe dress, sparkly bag, vintage pink wool cardi.
From left; handmade frock, red patent retro bag, 50's velvet and pearl hat.
From left; 80's dress, beaded 50's clutch, pink 50's dress.
From left; old desk that now is our TV cabinet, wicker bag, plush faux fur collar (called Barry)
From left; Martin Moddel capelets, pink dress and rockabilly frock.
 
I could go on and on (and on and on....) because I really have found oppies to be treasure troves. Sure, it is getting harder and harder to find the gems in amongst all the cheaply made imported clothes and nasty plastic toys, but every now and then, if you dig hard enough, a wonder is revealed.
And finding a treasure at a charity shop somehow feels better than finding it at a vintage or antique shop where someone has already done the hard work for you.
You feel victorious! You feel like a winner!
This isn't a brag post (I do enough of those!) and I won't go into prices because although most of my scores were bargains in my eyes, it is more about finding pieces that are "you", finding the pieces that you will treasure and love and make them live again.
What are your favoutite op shop, charity shop, or thrift shop scores?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Oh you have found some beautiful things, Brooke! I can't pick a favourite, I love them all!
    I agree, I do like vintage fairs but nothing beats the thrill (and the price) of stumbling across an unexpected gem in a charity shop! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a thrill isn't it? And great prices help too! I do love a market though and have found some lovely things there too but I find that the ones here are the uber cool and pricey trendy markets or the trash and trash (not treasure). Still, anywhere that lets me have a good rummage is great in my book! XXXX

      Delete
  2. Wow you've found some great gems. I've never found anything really old at a charity shop here in NY. Most of it is rubbish. My favorite piece is actually your 80s dress. It looks great on you. Oh and love the pink cardi. I did actually find a nice simple black cardi at a church rummage sale for $3 but that's about it. I'm hoping one day to stumble on some gems at a tag sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wanted to a have a look in charity shops in other countries to see what gems they have. I think I am lucky as I live far enough from the city that all the trendy vintage lovers haven't picked clean my op shops. Keep hoping and rummaging -you will find treasure!

      Delete
  3. I love you named your collar 'Barry', I think you have found so many beautiful pieces - I'm on the lookout for the 'one', a dress. and she is waiting for me somewhere, and I look everywhere - being a bigger size has proved to be tricky but it is not impossible - she's there and there will be many more - on a positive I have scored excellent frocks for my girls this year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find great things for my kids too - so much cheaper than retail! Keep looking, keep hunting (that's the fun bit anyway!). We all have the special frock waiting to be found somewhere X

      Delete
  4. O, yeaaaaaaaaaah, opshopping giveth me the HORN! There's nothing like a good rummage and a good score, but yes, those scores are fewer and fewer these days! You've got some real treasyres, darling!!! I drool in your direction! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas its true, the treasures are harder to find. I'd love to have a good rummage in the NZ op shops. One day I will live my dream and go on a world wide op shop odyssey! XXX

      Delete
  5. So much gorgeousness! Many treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love them all and thank the op shop gods for my luck!

      Delete