Thursday 9 January 2014

This isn't a drinking game, this is craft!

 
 
I promise I didn't drink everything in the decanters. Pinky promise!
Remember my recently thrifted mid century shelves.
 
 
Fabulous? Yes. A little bare? Definitely.
So I have been gradually trying out different bits and bobs on the shelves, evolving them until I was kind of happy. But something was always missing.
Colour! Lots of colour!
So I had the idea of adding a heap of cool coloured glass. But do you know how much vintage vases and bottles cost? More than I have that is for sure, so being a tight wad on a budget, I decided to buy some gorgeous old decanters from op shops and have myself a little colour party.
 
 
I have always loved the different shapes and styles of these decanters.
So instead of filling these beauties with scotch and whiskey I poured a different colour of craft paint into each, swirled the paint around so the inside surface is completely covered and then let dry for a while. Tip the decanter upside down to remove any excess paint and hey presto! Cool coloured glass!
 
Of course there were some casualties. A tip - don't use old paint. It is really gluggy and won't swish around inside the bottle.  It also seems to contract and leave patchy areas.  Also, maybe put down some paper so you don't create a huge mess like I did.  I was finding splodges of paint EVERYWHERE, even days later.
 
 
I am really happy with the results. I can't decide which one I like the best, but there is something about that turquoise colour that really speaks to me.
 
 
And I managed to complete all of my bottles for the price of one of those fancy bottles I was  lusting after on eBay! Huzzah!
I did however unearth a gorgeous (and very reasonably priced!) genie bottle whilst in Geelong that seems to have been made for my new cabinet. More huzzahs!
 
 
Now my shelves are full of vibrant colour and although I can't help moving things about constantly as the mood takes me, I absolutely love it all.
What sort of crafty things have you been up to lately?


10 comments:

  1. excellent idea, they look so good and make the cabinet look so vibrant, keep the whiskey in the drawers! the lilac candlesticks (are they candlesticks?) are flaming gorgeous too and your pink swans - I hope the paint came off easily, my bathroom seems to be my splodge paint resting ground x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its better to have the alcohol tucked out of site so everyone doesn't think I am some kind of lush! The lilac glass thingies are candlesticks - a lovely pressie from the old gals at work before I had my first child. I can't believe the candlesticks have lasted this long and not been broken with all of the lounge room wrestling that goes on (the kids, not me!). My laundry is my paint splodge central - although I am looking at a big pink spot on my watch that I wasn't aware of before. XXX

      Delete
  2. A fabulous idea, Brooke, so effective. I see old pressed glass decanters and containers in charity shops all the time, no one seems to want them, although I really like them. Love your bobbly turquoise genie bottle too, gorgeous shape. Your shelves look great! Not been up to anything remotely crafty myself, though I am trying to motivate myself to do some sewing this year. I will, I will... Honest! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just did my first bit of sewing in ages and I feel very good for it. It is one of those things that I put off for so long and battle through (lots of swearing!) but then feel very good about it when I can wear a finished project. XXX

      Delete
  3. wow! what a great idea! your genius! the colours geo perfectly with your cute little bambi and swan. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! They look awesome! The pink is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It is probably the easiest craft in the world - fun and messy too!

      Delete
  5. They really are fabulous!!! My first thought is how much fun it would be to do seasonally inspired sets - say, black, grey and orange for Halloween; gold, green, red and white for Christmas, or pastels for Easter. This is such a lovely, super easy to replicate project. Thank you very much for sharing it, honey.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea on the seasonal sets. Will have to try that for sure!

      Delete