Monday 10 February 2014

Beaten by the heat in Brunswick

 
So you all know we are going through a heatwave in Melbourne, right?
Have I whinged and moaned enough about the scorching rays? The constant stream of perspiration (yuck!)? The long, uncomfortable sleepless nights of tossing and turning? The flies. mozzies and cockroaches terrorising one and all? The car seat that burns your bum and thighs when you dare to sit on it and the blistering car steering wheel that takes off layers of skin when you try to hold it?
No clothes that don't feel like 80 layers of wool and down.
No make-up that doesn't feel like an oily, dripping slick on the face.
No hairstyle that doesn't feel like a wet dog sitting atop the head.
Aaahhh, don't you all wish you were here?
As you may have noticed, I am now officially over summer!
Even this oh-so- light frock was just too heavy! 
Instead of lounging in the baby pool with a spiked iced tea in hand all weekend like any normal person, I headed over to Brunswick on Saturday with my little clan, chasing up a new tattoo for the husband.
Okay, I wanted to check out all of the fabulous vintage shops that the area has to offer as well.
 Yep, piggy tails! I love them, and at least I was getting a little breeze on my neck.
 As sad as it is, and as much as I don't like to admit it, it was simply too hot shop!
Walking to and from the car, with the heat radiating from cobblestones and asphalt, through Brunswick's amazing lanes filled with cool buildings, funky shops and hip graffiti was enough for me.
 
 
 
I did squeeze in only one little op shop (scoring a great skirt, belt and bag which I will show off at a later date) and dearly wanted to have the energy to tackle the Rose Street Artists Market, but alas, treasure hunting and artistic appreciation were just not compatible with such a stonking hot day.
So we did the only thing possible to get us through.
 We had ice-cream!
 Ice cream does cure almost anything and it did help with the heat, but not enough to keep me from being a grouchy hot mess, so we called it a day.
And for some of us the heat proved a little too much.
Luckily my husband didn't sneak a snap of me snoozing in the sunshine!
How's the weather where you are?
 


14 comments:

  1. I'm officially waiting for summer. Too hot to shop? Gosh that must be pretty hot. A very lovely outfit very lovely pink, fits very perfectly for a summer outing for ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it has to be super hot to not want to shop but it really was a scorcher! While you are waiting for summer I am yearning for some milder spring days. Soon.....

      Delete
  2. Now I would really struggle with your summer, I'm not good in high heat... You, however, manage to remain beautiful and ladylike and cool - looking it, if not feeling it! Gorgeous pink frock, and hurray for visiting funky parts of town and for ice cream! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I don't manage at all in this heat - I wilt, with no energy and get lots of headaches. I am glad the pics don't show all that but I am sure if you look really closely you will see the bags under my eyes and the sweat rolling down my legs! Hurray for funky places and ice cream though!

      Delete
  3. I'd willingly swap you for this incessant rain and minus temperatures.
    You look glorious, that dress is gorgeous and those adorable pigtails really do suit you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to swap you some warmer weather for some cooler days but you can keep the incessant rain. We see enough of that too! I am loving the piggy tails too - I can pretend I am girlish and carefree! XXX

      Delete
  4. I cannot do hot hot weather too, I like it about 75 and that's it! I feel ya! and too hot to shop is alarming haha! it will not do! you do look wonderful though, not the least bit hot and bothered, your frock is gorgeous, the pig tails look lovely, a cool breeze on the neck is bliss! Little Miss is looking adorable, ice cream and naps are the way forward! x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully today has been slightly milder - but I am still sweating! I am worried about my unwillingness to shop(very alarming!) but I am sure I will make up for it. XXX

      Delete
  5. It's wintry to the nth degree, let me tell you!!! I love winter, I really do, and I know I'll yearn for it something fierce when the worst of summer's wrath strikes again, but for now, I'm soooo over it and ready for heat, heat and more heat once again!

    I just adore your punchy, gorgeous summertime ensemble here! You are a fellow (super stylish!) colour loving lady after my own heart.

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you very much for your comment on yesterday's vintage Valentine's Day cake recipe post. I love lamingtons - why the never got on more outside of Australia is beyond me. Perhaps they're day in the international dessert spotlight, like that of red velvet cake, macarons and whoopie pies in recent years, will come still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I will regret saying it, but I am looking forward to winter! We do have pretty mild winters here - no snow unfortunately, but I do love winters too. Lamingtons are great aren't they? So simple yet so yummy. They will have their day I am sure. Here's to loving lamingtons (and colours)! XXX

      Delete
  6. That hot weather sounds like summer here, I really hate heat too. Regardless to the hot temperatures you looked very lovely! And I like piggy tails too :) Here we still have winter, no snow, but a lot of rainy days :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the heat is terrible and even worse we have had some awful bush fires here lately. Come on milder weather for everyone!

      Delete
  7. You are fabulous, and I am now following you, and above all I do hope we become good blogger friend.
    Love and sunshine.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are fabulous!!! You have just brightened a gloomy morning, so thank you and lets look forward to a great bloggy friendship! XXX

      Delete