Monday 21 April 2014

Happy Easter!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!
I love Easter. Who wouldn't? An obligation to eat chocolate and other goodies makes it pretty much perfect in my eyes. 
We are not religious people (barbaric heathens is closer to the truth!) but Easter remains a lovely time for family and food.
My children still believe in the Easter bunny, so I continue to struggle with that internal battle of not wanting to lie to them (Of course there is a mutant rabbit that poops out chocolate eggs! Of course there is a fat hairy man that creeps into your room at night! Of course there is an obsessed tiny creature that collects your teeth!), and wanting to foster their imagination, instill a sense of wonder in their world, and generally keep those fairy tales alive. I want them to believe.
With my son now being a wise and worldly eight I'm sure my time to nurture these mythical creatures is coming to an end, but damn it, I'm holding on to them as long as I can!
So we held our annual Easter egg hunt, but die to unforeseen circumstances (feral neighbourhood children, running wild Lord of the Flies style with big sticks and sharp rocks) we held the hunt in a big expanse of open land behind our house, and the kids ran, leaped, skipped, poked, peeked, hopped, peered and romped to their hearts content, filling their bags with so many goodies.
And we discovered the evidence of that sneaky bunny!
Gross I know, but it really did convince the kids.
I followed my tradition of never wearing appropriate hunting clothes. 
Why be practical when you can have a pretty frock on! I found this red 80's dress in the op shop only the day before and thought it would be perfect for my Easter festivities.
And it coped quite well with little chocolate covered hands, stomping through tall grass and gorging on all manner of yummy treats.
Aaahhhh, even more evidence of a great Easter.
How did you spend your Easter?

17 comments:

  1. No wonder you are and look beautiful, you are surounded by angels.
    Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes little angels, sometimes little devils! XXX

      Delete
  2. Aww, how terrifically sweet that your wee ones still believe in the Easter bunny. To have that sort of innocence and wide-eyed wonder still! :)

    I hope that you all had a resplendent celebration and that the next chapter of spring will be beautiful and teaming with lots of fun for you!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to keep that belief as long as I can. I don't ever want them to lose that sense of wide eyed wonder - okay maybe having a 16 year old who still believes in Santa might be a bit odd! Hope you had a great Easter! XXX

      Delete
  3. My kids have never believed in the Easter bunny, nor have we ever done an Easter egg hunt. Am I a terrible parent? Probably! It's just not a cultural reference point for us at all, Easter means they go to the shop and choose one Easter egg (with me behind them muttering about what a ridiculously expensive way it is to buy chocolate, and getting big bars of choc to compare the weight to prove it!) Your photos of your wee ones enjoying their hunt are cute, and the added rabbit droppings for proper authenticity really made me chuckle!
    Cool frock too - love me a red dress, I always feel good in red! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you are a terrible person. I feel like a terrible person for lying to my kids! But it just shows that every family is different and does things their own way - the way that works for them. The kids did enjoy the hunt, bunny poo and all. XXX

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a lovely Easter filled with bunnies & chocolate. Your latest op shopped frock is gorgeous. It looks so good on you! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We did have a great Easter - too much chocolate in my case. I didn't get given any but the kids goodies always look too tempting and I have no will power! XXX

      Delete
  5. I'd never heard of the Easter bunny until I read blogs, I clearly had a deprived childhood.
    How sweet are your kids searching for easter eggs. You look fabulous in red and any colour you dresss yourself in! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents must have convinced us about the Easter bunny and now I perpetuate the lie! I am probably ruining my kids somehow but for now they are enjoying it. The egg hunt was great - it is so much fun to watch the kids act like crazy maniacs searching for those eggs. XXX

      Delete
  6. You look wonderful with your dress, especially prepared for the occasion and your kids had lots of fun looking all that chocolate. Oh, Lady ... I see these pictures and I wish to return to childhood again. Happy week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having kids is like returning to my childhood again. I get to re live it all which I love!

      Delete
  7. We still do an egg hunt (minus Abby this year, she had been out the night before) ours is inside because our weather can be rubbish, I had to tell Charlotte 'the truth' this year, she is 11! we were waiting for her to ask the usual questions, the other 2 caught on early, but nope, we had to tell her..everything, a triple whammy of easter bunny, tooth fairy and the other one (I can't say it, I can't haha!) love your pics, the red dress is gorgeous and cute Little Miss eating is chocolate the right way! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luckily our weather was OK (there have been soggy chocolate eggs in the past!) How did you handle explaining "the truth"? I am not looking forward to it - I want the innocence to continue. I do have a friend that had to explain to her 16 year old daughter about Santa. 16!!!! That may be pushing it too far! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such lovely pictures of your children, and you, you all look so happy :) I dont celebrate Easter much as I am an atheist, but my mum does so I usually spend that time with her and same was this year. Thank you dear for comments you always leave :) I am feeling really happy lately, spring is coming here, you are having autumn in Australia now, am I right? I love autumn and would love to have it here now too, but spring is amazing as well, all of those flowers! :) Have a great day Brooke! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments! I have been envying your lovely pix of all the spring beauty around you, but I do adore autumn. Have a wonderful week! XXX

      Delete
  10. What do you mean there's no Easter Bunny? You've really burst my bubble! While I don't believe in the religious side of Easter, I make sure I partake in the traditional foods, and of course Anzac biscuits on Anzac Day.

    ReplyDelete